This is War.

7:30:00 PM

I am crouched behind a wall.

The cameras scrutinizing these hallways have been hacked shut, probably the work of our tech expert. When I first joined the Resistance, the higher-ups never deemed me capable enough for field work.

All of that has changed, now.

When they discovered that I, too, am an Anomaly, they saw me as a threat; an end to their entire operation. I was locked away, starved for days. They finally came to their senses, not too late, and realized what an asset I could be. I was pampered, fed, and given importance. My training began and I proved to be one of their best. Soon, came my promotion.

I remember the bold, red ink that said: You've been promoted!

Many in the Resistance still don't trust me. Can't blame them. It is out of the ordinary; an Anomaly helping out the Normals. Why I have chosen to side with them, is better kept unsung.

Crash!!!

Something shatters. I hear heavy boots, making their way closer. With every step, the noise becomes more audible. I dare to peak, and don't like what I see.

Soldiers.

I stand upright, and flex my muscles. I decide not to use my powers; like always. I retrieve my gun from its holster, count to three, then dash into visibility.

Bam! Bam!

I had the element of surprise on my side, hence the victory. What these two were capable of, I'll never know. The Anomaly Alliance usually has Fires for field work. Not that they would've burned me or anything.

No other Anomaly can beat me. Or so, say the Resistance thinks.

I still don't use my powers.

I quickly activate my VR Map. It disperses a holographic imitation of this building's architecture in front of me. I locate myself in it, then the point of my destination: The Containment Zone.

I am here to free the unwilling Anomalies; a traitor, here to free more traitors.

I merge with ease in the shadows, and climb the flight of stairs keeping me from The Containment Zone. Emerging from below, I can see someone, standing as if expecting me.

It's him.

"Get out of my way." I say, coldly.

"You don't have to this! We'll take you back. Just stop this!"

Idiot, still holding on to the stupid hope he's been fed with.

"I won't say it again, get out of my way." I hiss at him.

To my surprise he takes off his gloves and prepares to fight me. The nerve! I think quickly, and determine that a bullet through the head of my former best friend is not a possibility. He'll use his powers all too quickly and freeze anything I throw at him.

With only temporary hesitation, I decide to do what I have never in a long time, not since I killed my mother, accidentally.

I'm going to use my powers.

"If I kill you, it'll be your fault." I mock him.

His face exhibits not even a single emotion. He's entered his fight-mode. No more sympathy from him. His tightened fists start emitting smoke, the fingers of his hands turning blue. He raises them in the air and then slams them on the ground. His ice speeds its way in my direction, freezing the ground in its wake instantaneously, getting closer by each passing second.

I imitate his actions; undoing his attempt.

That's what I can do: shut off another Anomaly.

The frozen ground now melts, there is water everywhere. Using his perplexity against him, I pull my gun out and shoot him in his legs. He falls to his knees, screaming in pain.

I walk to him, the entrance to The Containment Zone is right behind him.

"Why?" He says, lying trembling on the ground.

"This is war." I say, and shoot him in the head.

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Where do you get the spark for these types of master pieces ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, for this one, three particular "classmates" would be the case. I shot them all up above. It gave me the sweetest of all pleasures. RIP, classmates. :D

    ReplyDelete

Contact

Name

Email *

Message *

Popular Posts